New Jersey Family Lawyers Advocate for Grandparents’ Visitation Rights
We help grandparents maintain a loving bond with their grandchildren
In some cases, a grandparent is as important in a child’s life as a parent. When divorce creates a rift between families and grandparents are denied visitation, children can suffer. And when it’s in the child’s best interest to have a continued relationship with a grandmother and grandfather, the grandparent can petition for visitation rights.
As lawyers who have provided representation in New Jersey grandparents’ rights cases, we know that a legal action can increase tension between parents and grandparents. At the law offices of Smith & Doran, P.C. in Morristown, we have found that our skills as mediators can help parents and grandparents come to terms for the sake of the children.
When grandparents seek information about their rights in New Jersey, consult our family law attorneys to evaluate the case and discuss the options.
Evidence that supports grandparents’ visitation rights in New Jersey
New Jersey’s Grandparent Visitation Statute, N.J.S.A. 9:2-7.1 allows grandparents and siblings to bring an application before the Supreme Court for an Order for visitation so long as the visitation is in the best interest of the child. The court will consider the following factors:
- The prior relationship between you and your grandchild
- The amount of time elapsed since your last contact with your grandchild
- The parent/child custodial time and the effect of grandparent visitation
- The effect of grandparent visitation on the child’s relations with their parent
- Any history of physical, emotional or sexual abuse by the grandparent
- Your good faith in filing an application with the Court
- The relationship between the parent and grandparent
- Any other factor relevant to the child’s best interest
Testimony from friends, neighbors and relatives can support your request for visitation. Also helpful are photos or videos of you and your grandchild together, enjoying vacations and holidays and school events.
We have helped grandparents throughout New Jersey since 1996
We understand that you want to maintain a loving bond with your grandchildren, and we are here to provide the legal assistance you need. To schedule a time to discuss your case, contact us online or call us at 973-261-6254.