Cosmetic Surgery Malpractice Attorneys Morris County, NJ
Parsippany Plastic Surgery Errors Lawyers
Cosmetic surgery is a very personal and often life-changing decision, rarely made without careful consideration and soul-searching. What happens, however, when the life-changing result of cosmetic surgery is not a positive one? What if your surgery isn’t successful and you are harmed as a result?
The Morristown law firm of Smith & Doran has extensive experience helping clients injured as a result of cosmetic surgical error. We understand the stakes involved with your injury, and we are ready to provide personal and effective legal representation. We know how to fight for your future while at the same time always maintaining an open line of communication. The lawyer you hire is the lawyer you get, every step of the way.
Types of Cosmetic Surgery Procedures & Risks
Nearly two million elective cosmetic procedures are performed in the United States each year, ranging from Botox injections to rhinoplasty to liposuction. Before performing any type of cosmetic procedure or plastic surgery, a doctor should fully evaluate the patient’s health and medical history to avoid complications and injuries. Specific procedures and risks include:
- Breast Augmentation – Breast implants can break or burst, and some people experience hardening of the breasts, which may require additional surgery.
- Breast Reduction – A mishandled breast reduction can result in loss of sensation, scarring, the inability to breastfeed, and breasts that are not symmetrical in size and shape after surgery.
- Face Lift – A poorly performed face lift can result in injury to the nerves that control facial muscles. Skin discoloration can also occur.
- Lip Augmentation – Side effects and injuries caused by an incorrectly performed lip augmentation procedure include lumping, scarring, numbness, cold sores, and asymmetrical lips.
- Rhinoplasty (Nose Job) – Risks associated rhinoplasty include nosebleeds, trouble breathing, and numbness in and around the nose.
- Eye Lid Surgery – Botched eye lid surgery can cause retinal detachment and/or ectropian (a drooping effect causing the lower lid to invert), both of which require additional surgery to correct.
- Liposuction – When performed without appropriate care and precision, liposuction can result in fluid loss, abnormal swelling, bruises, scars, and numbing of the skin.
Plastic Surgeon Liability
Simply because a cosmetic procedure is elective, this does not mean plastic surgeons are held to a lesser standard of care than any other medical professional. If a cosmetic procedure is not performed with the appropriate level of skill, care, and treatment—and the patient is injured as a result—the plastic surgeon may be liable for medical malpractice.
A plastic surgeon must also warn patients of risks associated with cosmetic procedures and the likelihood that side effects will occur. To not do so is a breach of standard of care, and may be grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Talk to a Morristown Cosmetic Surgery Malpractice Lawyer Today
Cosmetic surgery errors can lead to numerous corrective surgeries, disfigurement, lost income, psychological problems, chronic pain, and lifelong complications that nobody should have to live with. An experienced plastic surgery malpractice lawyer can help hold liable parties responsible for their mistakes.
Founding partner Robert A. Smith of Smith & Doran personally handles all plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery mistake cases. Bob Smith is a Certified Civil Trial Attorney. This means that he specializes in civil court cases, including accident and injury cases of any kind. It is an accolade given by the New Jersey Supreme Court to only 2% of the active lawyers in the state. His fellow lawyers have also accorded him the highest possible Martindale Hubbel rating of AV® Preeminent in recognition of his excellent legal knowledge, communication skills, and ethical standards.
Robert Smith prides himself on providing personal but professional legal counsel, and he believes open and honest communication with his clients is the key to building a long-lasting partnership based on trust. To speak with him and the law team of Smith & Doran today about your case, contact us online or through our Morristown offices at 973-261-6254.