Surgical Errors Attorneys Morris County, NJ
Dover Surgical Error Lawyers help you hold doctors responsible for surgical mistakes
As many as 80 times each week, patients in the United States fall victim to serious surgical mistakes that were preventable. As medical malpractice attorneys in New Jersey, we believe that healthcare professionals should be held accountable for the harm caused by their negligence.
An error may have been committed by the surgeon or by other members of the surgical team: an anesthesiologist who fails to administer the correct dosage or whose improper intubation technique causes airway damage, or an OR nurse who miscounts the number of sponges removed during a surgical procedure.
At the AV®-rated law offices of Smith & Doran, P.C. in Morristown, New Jersey, we put our experience to work in the identification, investigation and aggressive pursuit of your medical malpractice claim. Surgical errors can cause long-term or even permanent physical and psychological damage. We see to it that you recover damages to cover current and future medical bills, lost wages and other expenses, as well as the compensation you deserve for your pain and suffering.
What are Surgical Errors?
There are a great many things that can go wrong during surgery, many of them preventable if only the medical staff been more diligent in their duties. Surgical mistakes may include:
- Wrong-site surgery: It has been reported that between 1995 and 2005, wrong-site surgery accounted for more than 12 percent of surgical errors, including operations performed on the wrong body part, the wrong side (for instance, the left eye instead of the right eye) — or even the wrong patient
- Surgical instruments left in the body: Gauze and sponges are the most common items accidentally left behind — and potentially the most dangerous, since they can lead to infection. Other instruments that are forgotten include clamps, tubes, retractors, dilators, scalpels and forceps.
- Anesthesia overdoses and underdoses: Problems ensue when a patient is given too much or too little anesthesia.
- Injury to organs, blood vessels or nerves: Carelessness can lead to laceration or perforation, causing bleeding or severe damage.
- Improper patient monitoring: This can occur during and after surgery.
Every medical malpractice lawsuit — especially those stemming from surgical mistakes — is complex. To build a solid case on your behalf, the legal team of Smith & Doran contract medical experts to begin a thorough review of your medical records. Then we conduct detailed discovery of the actions or in-actions of the defendants, including the surgeon, other members of the surgical team, and hospital or surgery center representatives.
You can rest assured that we will do what it takes to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Talk to a Morristown Surgical Negligence Lawyer Today
Founding partner Robert A. Smith of Smith & Doran is a Certified Civil Trial Attorney. This means that he specializes in civil court cases, including accident and injury cases of any kind. It is an accolade given by the New Jersey Supreme Court to only 2% of the active lawyers in the state. His fellow lawyers have also accorded him the highest possible Martindale Hubbel rating of AV® Preeminent in recognition of his excellent legal knowledge, communication skills, and ethical standards.
Bob Smith personally handles all medical malpractice cases including surgical errors, and prides himself on providing personal but professional legal counsel. He believes open and honest communication with his clients is the key to building a long-lasting partnership based on trust.
If you or a family member has been harmed by negligent surgical procedures, Smith & Doran will fight to help you recover full damages. To schedule a free and confidential consultation, contact us online or call us at 973-261-6254. Weekend and evening appointments are available, and if necessary, one of our lawyers will arrange to meet with you at the hospital or at your home.
Se habla español.