Morris County Municipalities Liable for Injuries on Public Property

In New Jersey, federal, state, and local agencies are responsible for making government property safe for visitors, including private individuals and contractors invited onto the property to make repairs or improvements. When a government agency fails to keep public property safe from dangerous conditions, it may be considered negligent and liable for resulting injuries and damages, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Bringing a claim against the government is complex, however, as different laws apply to public agencies than to private individuals or businesses.

Bob Smith of Smith & Gaynor, LLC, is a Certified Civil Trial Attorney. This means that he specializes in civil court cases, including accident and injury cases of any kind. It is an accolade given by the New Jersey Supreme Court to only 2% of the active lawyers in the state. Bob Smith provides personal but professional legal counsel, and believes open and honest communication with his clients is the key to building a partnership based on trust. If you have sustained injuries on public property in New Jersey, The Smith & Gaynor, LLC, is ready to assert your right to compensation. Contact us online or by phone today at 973-532-2661 for a cost-free consultation.

Circumstances Leading to Injuries on Government Property

If you sustain an injury on property owned by a public entity, or as the direct result of negligent actions of public employees, you have the right to bring a claim against the entity under certain conditions. Injuries on public property may involve:

  • Malfunctioning, obscured, or missing traffic lights or signs
  • Poorly maintained roads
  • Roadwork
  • Sidewalk defects
  • Drowning in public pools
  • Slip, trip, and falls in government buildings or on adjacent government property
  • Slip, trip, and falls on mass transit systems, including trains and public buses
  • Slip, trip, and falls at post offices, tax offices, the DMV, and other government agencies
  • Slip, trip, and falls in public parks, public museums, and other locations

What to Do After Being Injured on Public Property

After you are injured on public property, your first step is to file a Notice of Claim against the agency responsible for maintaining the property. The Notice of Claim makes the government agency aware of your intention to seek compensation for your injuries, and gives the agency time to respond to your claim by either denying or admitting it. You must file the Notice of Claim within 90 days of the incident causing your injury, except in extraordinary circumstances warranting an extension. After one year, courts cannot grant an extension, and you are barred from recovery.

If the government agency admits your claim, you'll receive compensation. If the agency rejects it, you have the right to file a lawsuit. The Morristown, New Jersey, personal injury law team at The Law Offices of Smith & Gaynor, LLC, can assist you through every step of making an injury claim against a government entity, from preparing your Notice of Claim to seeking recovery through the legal system.

Contact an Experienced Morris County, NJ Personal Injury Attorney

Injuries on Public Property require skilled representation. Because of the limited time you have to file a claim against the government, it is important to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible in order to obtain the compensation you are entitled to receive.

Robert A. Smith of Smith & Gaynor, LLC, is an AV® Preeminent rated attorney committed to building long-lasting partnerships with his clients. AV® Preeminent is the highest possible rating given by Martindale Hubbel Peer Review Ratings™, considered to be the industry standard in accurately scoring lawyers on a combination of their legal knowledge, communication skills, and ethical standards.

If you or a loved one has sustained an injury on public property, please contact us online or through our Morristown, New Jersey, offices today at 973-532-2661.